I was interviewed by Rob Williams on January 18th, 2013 for the Fox 19 Morning News. We discussed Facebook’s new Graph Search functionality and it’s privacy implications.
You can watch this interview and many others on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6w8YYjhQH8.
Some basic information on Graph Search:
- Graph Search searched four basic areas: People, Places, Photos and Interests
- In addition to things that you “Like”, Graph Search indexes your profile information so people can find you based information you enter in your profile including schools you went to, jobs you’ve held, your religion, your political leanings and who your friends are, based on information that YOU entered.
- You can create very interesting searches and discover just about anything that has been posted to Facebook.
- You can’t find things using Graph Search that are not already available. “No one can see anything that they wouldn’t have otherwise been able to see,” said Facebook public policy manager Nicky Jackson Colaco in an interview with VentureBeat. “We don’t want people to be surprised. It’s really bad for them … and it’s bad for us.”
- Graph Search just makes it easier to find information and creates privacy implications for you based on information you’ve posted and things you’ve “Liked”, some of which you might not want others to know about.
- You need to understand how your privacy settings can be set block information from searches and/or delete questionable information that you don’t want people to see.
- You can delete stuff using your Activity Log. “Just to clarify, anything you delete from the site is deleted,” said Colaco. “Activity Log is really the place [to delete content]. It’s a summary of you on Facebook.”
- Graph Search is still in beta, so get started reviewing your content now!
Links to articles with more information on this subject
I’d love to hear your feedback and suggestions for other topics!
If you’d like to have me speak to your group or do an interview on any business/technology topic, you can reach me at Libertas Technologies.