I was interviewed by Shelia Gray on July 26, 2012 for the Fox 19 Morning News. We discussed the Online Reputation Management for Job Seekers.
You can watch this interview and many others on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUo1xWbXfi4.
The tips we discussed include:
- Be Careful What You Share Online
- Assume you have no privacy regardless of “privacy” settings
- Assume it will last forever
- Only 5.7% of recruiters are not active on social media
- 12.5 percent of employees are hired directly through social media
- “Glass, china, and reputation are easily cracked, and never mended well.” – Benjamin Franklin
- Google drives about 80% of search traffic
- Google yourself (Bing and Yahoo too)!
- Use Google Alerts to proactively track information about you.
- Hide personalized search results to ensure what others see
- Own As Many “Slots” As Possible on Google’s Page
- Most recruiters and employers will go beyond the page of results. Check at least 4
- You control the messaging!
- Focus on positive information and accomplishments
- Get recommendations
- Update it regularly
- LinkedIn is used by 40% of recruiters and is #1 social media site for hiring
- Use this to share positive information / portfolio
- Will help with search
- Link to LinkedIn
- It’s likely to have been seen by employers and recruiters
- Ensure that it’s really about you
- Prepare an explanation or be able to refute it
We looked at the MyCareerWeb site to explore how it can help you manage your reputation, I encourage you to check it out and give it a try.
Here are some links to articles that explore this subject in more detail:
I’d love to hear your feedback and suggestions for other topics!
If you’d like to have me speak to your group or do an interview on any business/technology topic, you can reach me at Libertas Technologies.